Monday, March 15, 2010

The Misery and Imperfection of Every Good Desire

More on virtue... Can I really admit how miserable my deeds are as St. Teresa so readily does?



"He does not fail to repay, even in his life, every good desire. As miserable and imperfect as my deeds were, this Lord of mine improved and perfected them and gave them value, and the evils and sins He then hid. His Majesty even permitted that the eyes of those who saw these sins be blinded and He removed these sins from their memory. He gilds my faults; the Lord makes a virtue shine that He himself places in me – almost forcing me to have it."

(The Book of Her Life, chapter 4) (The Collected Works of St. Teresa of Avila, ICS Publications, Vol. 1)



Truly, if there is anything good that I have done, it is really not me, but God who has done them through me.

No comments:

Post a Comment