Monday, June 29, 2009

Acts of Love

The soul that truly understands that love is "the greatest and first commandment" (Mt 22:38) is a soul that is not preoccupied with unnecessary practices and exercises in its spiritual life. This soul aims straight at the heart. Love is its only concern. As love increases this soul lives in love actually. This soul strives to please God and to give Him glory. Of the three theological virtues of faith, hope and charity, it is charity that holds primacy of place (1 Cor 13:13). Charity is the basis of the spiritual life and is necessary for a life of grace.

An Act of Love
O my God, I love you above all things, with my whole heart and soul, because you are all-good and worthy of all love. I love my neighbor as myself for the love of you. I forgive all who have injured me, and I ask pardon of all whom I have injured.

Contemplative souls make many acts of love throughout the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment